THE TOP HELLENIC/MODERN GREEK STUDIES PROGRAMS IN THE U.S.
PROGRAMS AT PUBLIC COLLEGES OR UNIVERSITIES
- Ohio State University, Department of Classics. Hosts the “Modern Greek Program” (established in the 1970s in collaboration with members of the Greek community in Columbus).
- Queens College CUNY. Hosts the “Center for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies” (established 1974).
- San Francisco State University. Hosts the “Center for Modern Greek Studies,” with the Nikos Kazantzakis Chair (center founded 1981, chair in 1983).
- University of Florida, Gainesville. Hosts the “Center for Greek Studies” (established 1980).
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Hosts the “Modern Greek Program,” with the C. P. Cavafy Professorship (endowed by the Foundation of Modern Greek Studies in 1999).
- University of Missouri, St. Louis. Hosts the “Nicholas and Theodora Matsakis Hellenic Culture Center,” with the Hellenic Government-Karakas Foundation Professorship in Greek Studies (established 2008).
PROGRAMS AT PRIVATE COLLEGES OR UNIVERSITIES
- Brown University. Hosts a “Modern Greek Studies Program,” with the Goltsos Lectureship in Modern Greek Language (established 2002).
- Columbia University. Hosts a “Program in Neohellenic Studies,” with regular significant funding from the Niarchos Foundation (program established 1988).
- Georgetown University. Hosts a “Modern Greek Language Program” (established 1966).
- Harvard University. Hosts a “Program of Modern Greek Studies,” with the George Seferis Chair of Modern Greek Studies (established 1977).
- Loyola Marymount University, Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts. Hosts the “Basil P. Caloyeras Center for Modern Greek Studies” (established 1980).
- New York University. Hosts the “A. S. Onassis Program in Hellenic Studies” (established 1987).
- Princeton University. Hosts the “Program in Hellenic Studies,” and significantly funded by the Stanley J. Seeger Hellenic Fund (established 1979).
- Yale University. Hosts the “Hellenic Studies Program,” supported by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Center for Hellenic Studies at Yale (program established 2001).
MAJOR U.S. SCHOLARLY & PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Byzantine Studies Association of North America.
- Modern Greek Studies Association. A major gateway for initiatives, resources, and directories in the field of Modern Greek Studies, broadly defined.
KEY HELLENIC ORGANIZATIONS
- American Foundation for Greek Language & Culture (AFGLC)
- American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA)
- Greek America Foundation
- Hellenic American Leadership Council
- Hellenic Federation of New Jersey